7 December: Building a European Social Standards Union – what role for the European Semester?
Event hosted by Sergio Gutiérrez Prieto (S&D), Jean Lambert (Greens/EFA) and EAPN
EAPN is jointly hosting the event on 7 December 2017 to see how progress can be made on social rights, social standards and poverty reduction, through the main EU coordination instrument – the European Semester – in the context of 1 in 4 of the population (119 million people) still at risk of poverty and social exclusion in the EU.
It comes at a timely moment, following President Juncker’s State of the Union address, calling for a “European Union of Social Standards”, the Inter-Institutional Proclamation on the European Pillar of Social Rights, and the recent adoption of the 2018 Annual Growth Survey. The key questions that will be discussed are: How well is the European Semester performing on social rights and poverty reduction? How will the European Pillar of Social Rights be mainstreamed? What changes should be made to transform the Semester into a balanced economic and social instrument? How will grass-root actors, including people experiencing poverty, be involved?
The seminar will open with an exchange of views between stakeholders and the European Parliament, assessing the current performance of the Semester, including presenting EAPN’s 2017 Assessment of the National Reform Programmes: Social Rights or Social Plight? The second panel will involve an exchange between the European Parliament, European Commission, and Council of the EU on the way forward, with an active debate with the audience.
The programme will be kept updated here (PDF).
Key external speakers invited
- Michael Mackey, Board of EAPN Ireland and person with direct experience of poverty
- Yana Toom, MEP ALDE, Rapporteur on the European Semester, Employment and Social Affairs committee
- Maria João Rodrigues, MEP S&D Group, Vice-Chair S&D, in charge of Economics & Social Policies (rapporteur of own initiative report on the Social Pillar)
- Maria Ulvskog, MEP S&D Group, Vice-Chair of Employment and Social Affairs committee
- Barbara Kauffmann, Director Employment & Social Governance, European Commission
- Rait Kuuse, Deputy Secretary General on Social Policy, Estonian Ministry for Social Affairs
- Paul Ginnell, Co-Chair of EAPN EU Inclusion Strategies Group/EAPN IE
- Heather Roy, Secretary General, Eurodiaconia
Please register here. If you don’t have an EP badge, we need your nationality, date of birth and ID or passport number.
The event will take place from 9:00 to 12:00 on Thursday 7 December 2017 in the European Parliament (room JAN – 4Q2). Tea/Coffee and water will be provided.
Key related documents
- EAPN Assessment of the National Reform Programmes 2017: Social Rights or Social Plight? See here.
- EAPN response to the European Pillar of Social Rights: Make Social Rights the Beating Heart of Europe! See here.
- EAPN letter to President Juncker on the Annual Growth Survey 2018. See here.
Photos: © EAPN
This event is supported by the European Union Programme for Employment and Social Innovation “EaSI” (2014-2020). The information contained does not necessarily reflect the position or opinion of the European Commission. For further information please consult: http://ec.europa.eu/social/easi.