“Confidence in the EU is deteriorating as the ‘austerity first’ approach is shown manifestly not to work and is driving people into poverty and increasing precariousness” said Ludo Horemans, President of EAPN. “It is time for a new approach based on a new Social Investment Stimulus package (a New Deal) that responds to the knowledge that Social Protection and Welfare systems are key economic stabilisers”, added Mr Horemans.
“It is essential that the Annual Growth Survey recognises the failure so far of Europe 2020 to deliver on the poverty reduction target” said Fintan Farrell, Director of EAPN. “However, this recognition must be accompanied by proposals and actions that would make reducing poverty and inequality a key driver for Inclusive Recovery and Growth”, added Mr Farrell.
EAPN’s letter presents 5 priority areas for action under the following headings:
- Prioritize inclusive recovery and growth through poverty-reduction measures!
- Kick-start an inclusive recovery – A social-investment stimulus package!
- Actions to close the inequality gap!
- Use EU funds to reduce poverty!
- Get serious about democratic accountability and participation!
- EAPN’s letter to President Barroso on the Annual Growth Survey
- EAPN Analysis of the 2011 National Reform Programmes, Europe 2020 – Deliver Inclusive Growth – Put the heart back in Europe!