EAPN has written to the President of the European Commission to ensure the AGS 2020 continues its progress towards a more balanced social/economic/environmental strategy delivering on poverty, social rights + participation.
We underline 10 key messages for the 2020 Annual Growth Survey, building on our exchanges with our members on their findings this year and particularly on the EAPN Assessment of the Semester 2019: Is the 2019 European Semester more social?
- The EU should prepare for recession and not growth and needs a new economic model promotes environmental and social justice with fair fiscal and redistribution measures.
- The Semester must become an instrument to improve lives and well-being not just to serve
narrow macroeconomic objectives.
- The commitment to green transition and a Green New Deal must be poverty-proofed
- Move from aspiration to inspiration on Social Rights!
- All countries should receive a social CSR as the 1st priority!
- The promotion of a rights-based, person-centred anti-poverty strategy based on integrated active inclusion
- Moving forward on key social standards to ensure adequate income is key!
- The Semester must be made more visible and accountable with formal commitment by Member States
- Engagement of civil society is improving but needs concrete resources to embed meaningful
dialogue processes at national level.
- Dialogue with people with direct experience of poverty is essential to signpost what works/doesn’t work and propose viable solutions.
Read the fully detailed proposals in the letter below.