Challenge Poverty Week
In the run up to the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, Scotland organised the ‘Challenge Poverty Week’. Throughout this week, hundreds of events took place around the country. With this initiative, the Poverty Alliance (UK) wants to put a spotlight on poverty and call for action to protect the most vulnerable in society.
Some of the main activities included:
- All the leaders of Scotland’s political parties recorded a video statement of support for challenging poverty. Many members of the UK Parliament, as well as the Scottish Parliament, were wearing ‘Challenge Poverty’ badges in the Parliament, while raising poverty-related issues. Find out more on twitter.
- Many schools throughout Scotland participated in the Challenge Poverty Week.
- All of Scotland’s main faith leaders issued a joint statement calling for urgent action to fix the social security system. You can read coverage of it here.
- Video statements by the main faith leaders on the need to challenge poverty in Scotland and across the UK can be found here.
- Media and framing training were offered to a group of people experiencing poverty, which resulted in some op-eds published in the national media. Find some examples here and here.