On the 27th April 2010, the Commission published their proposals for Integrated Guidelines to deliver on the EU strategy: Europe 2020. 10 Guidelines have been proposed, under two distinct legal bases: 6 Economic and 4 Employment Guidelines.
The much-awaited Guideline on poverty and social exclusion, which sets out policies to reach the proposed EU headline target on poverty reduction, has been included under the Employment Guidelines, which means that poverty and social inclusion risk remaining at the margins of EU cooperation.
EAPN welcomes the inclusion of a guideline on ‘promoting social inclusion and combating poverty’ as one of the 10 Guidelines for the Europe 2020 strategy. “The inclusion of such a guideline coupled with a target to reduce poverty could ensure political attention at the highest level to the fight against poverty, social exclusion and inequalities” said Fintan Farrell, Director of EAPN. “However, the inclusion of the guideline under the employment guidelines and the failure to mainstream social and sustainable objectives across all the Guidelines raises serious concerns that poverty and social inclusion will remain at the margins of EU cooperation” said Fintan Farrell, Director of EAPN.
In light of this assessment EAPN calls for:
- A better integration of inclusion and social cohesion objectives across all the Integrated Guidelines.
- The separation of the ‘social inclusion and combating poverty guideline’ from the Employment Guidelines to guarantee that actions on social inclusion and tackling poverty are not limited to employment related measures.
- Explicit reference in the ‘Guideline on social inclusion and combating poverty’ to ensure access to rights, resources and services in line with the already-agreed common objectives of the Social OMC.
- EAPN’s full reaction to the Commission’s proposals on the Integrated Guidelines for Europe 2020 and annex (amendments proposed)
- Commission’s proposals on the Integrated Guidelines for Europe 2020
- Employment Guidelines http://ec.europa.eu/eu2020/pdf/proposition_en.pdf
- Economic Guidelines http://ec.europa.eu/eu2020/pdf/recommandation_en.pdf