EAPN will take an active part in the conference “Our Social Europe – Strong Together” on 16 September 2020. This conference organised by the German Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs under their presidency of the Council of the European Union will be the opportunity to discuss:
- How can we use social and employment policy but also economic and fiscal policy to bolster the upward convergence of living conditions in Europe and overcome the crisis?
- What are effective ways to promote inclusive growth and combat inequality and poverty in Europe?
The Germany’s Presidency of the Council of the EU
The aim is to promote solidarity and to work together on the issue of upward convergence in living and working conditions in view of the Corona crisis. Our Social Europe is only strong together.
EAPN, along with Caritas Europe, Eurodiaconia and the Social Platform, will hold a workshop on Adequate, accessible & enabling minimum income schemes across Europe. We are going to specifically advocate for an EU Framework Directive on Adequate Minimum Income to lay the foundation of a basic social safety net, while at the same time reducing poverty and inequalities by fostering upward social convergence within and across EU Member States and mitigating the immediate and long-term socio-economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The conference will include contributions by:
- Violeta Alexandru, Minister of Labour and Social Protection, Romania
- Ana Mendes Godinho, Minister of Labour, Solidarity and Social Protection, Portugal
- Hubertus Heil, Federal Minister of Labour and Social Affairs, Germany
- Renate Hornung-Draus, Managing Director, Confederation of German Employers’ Associations (BDA)
- Jana Maláčová, Minister of Labour and Social Affairs, Czech Republic
- David Sassoli, President of the European Parliament
- Nicolas Schmit, European Commissioner for Jobs and Social Rights
- Luca Visentini, General Secretary of the European Trade Union Confederation (ETUC)
Please note that the conference will be held on-line but in case the situation allows, a limited number of seats will be available for on-site guests. If you want to participate on-site in Berlin, you need to register by 12th August 2020 here!