- This event has passed.
EAPN annual Policy conference: Learning from the past to beyond 2020 – What strategy to fight poverty?
June 15, 2017 @ 2:00 pm - 5:30 pm
EAPN’s annual conference will be on 15 June, 14:00-17:30, under the title Learning from the past to Beyond 2020 – What EU strategy to fight poverty, exclusion and inequality?
The conference will be an opportunity to exchange together on the following questions:
- What integrated strategy should the EU propose to effectively fight poverty? What can we learn from the past? What do people in poverty want and expect from the EU? How does this connect to the European Pillar of Social Rights?
- How should this strategy be mainstreamed into a post 2020 strategy? Can the Sustainable Development Goals offer a better and more operational framework to take over from Europe 2020? Should this be through a re-vamped European Semester? Or another process?
- How should we mobilize for this in the context of the Future of Europe?
It aims to:
- Present ideas & messages from EAPN from an internal session of members, including input from people experiencing poverty;
- Get feedback & debate with the European Commission & Council;
- Get responses from other Civil Society Organisations & partners;
- Give special attention to the SDG agenda; the follow up on the European Pillar of Social Rights, and the implications of the Future of Europe proposals, in trying to move forward for a transformative social and sustainable framework for beyond 2020.
Key speakers invited:
- People experiencing poverty & EAPN members
- Hugh Frazer, Coordinator ESPN and Professor from Maynooth University, Ireland
- Ruth Paserman, Commissioner Thyssens’ Cabinet
- Kaia Iva, Minister of Social Protection, Estonian Presidency
- Nelson Muffuh, Chief of Staff to Deputy Secretary General of the UN
- Representatives from Eurodiaconia, Eurochild, FEANTSA, ETUC, Semester Alliance
- Marcel Haag, Secretariat General, European Commission
Practical details & participation
The conference will be from 14:00-17:30 in the ITUC, 5 Boulevard Albert Roi II, 1210 Brussels.
Participants: Around 70 EAPN members, including people with direct experience of poverty, and around 80 Brussels-based stakeholders.
For further information on content, contact Sian Jones (Policy Coordinator) firstname.lastname@example.org, or on registrations Rebecca Lee (Information & Events Officer), email@example.com | Tel. +32 2 226 58 50