For the last 10 years, EAPN has actively promoted the need for a dynamic, integrated national action plan process involving wide-spread stakeholder involvement within the Open Method of Coordination (OMC) that develops effective policies to tackle the multidimensionality of poverty.
EAPN has argued for improved measures to ensure equal access to rights, resources and services for all whilst recognizing the specific needs of key target groups – particularly black and ethnic minorities, undocumented and documented migrants, single parents, families with children, disabled, poor pensioners, children and youth.
The 2008 EAPN “Light Year” Report based on the responses of the EAPN Social Inclusion Review Group evaluated the effectiveness of the current National Action Plans on social inclusion in terms of policy impact and process.
Our key demands :
- to improve effective stakeholder involvement at all stages and parts of the OMC,
- to maintain “light year” priority focuses at EU level, while ensuring the implementation of multidimensional approaches at national level,
- to move forward from mutual learning to effective policy implementation eg on child poverty and active inclusion,
- to move forward in the development of a horizontal framework for social standards,
- to raise visibility and awareness on poverty,
- to link poverty to wealth and inequality,
- to take urgent action on new priorities – black and ethnic minorities, asylum seekers, undocumented migrants, affordable access to health and housing for all,
- Making the Round Table of Poverty and the EU People experiencing Poverty integral elements in making the link between participation and policy impact.
Main actions in 2008
EAPN has lobbied for improvements in the Open Method of Coordination and a greater policy impact.
As part of the renewed social agenda, EAPN is lobbying for a tougher role and approach for the OMC backed by greater political priority and commitment. We want particularly to see progress over Poverty targets, adequate monitoring through Commission Recommendations and more dynamic, effective partipation through improved governance..
- EAPN Tool Kit: Engaging with the NAP Inclusion 2008-11 (April 2008)
- Social Inclusion Scoreboard – EAPN Response to the National Implementation Reports 2007 of the revised Lisbon Strategy (January 2008)
- EAPN Response to Guidance for the Strategic Reports 2008-11 (January 2008)
- EAPN proposals on Strengthening the OMC (April 2008)
- A Stronger OMC, but not enough to make the difference! EAPN Response and Proposals for Reinforcing the OMC (September 2008)