“If elected, I commit to make the fight against poverty, social exclusion and inequality a priority item on the Parliament and EU agenda by defending the development of an explicit European anti-poverty strategy and an annual hearing of people experiencing poverty to monitor its implementation and progress.”
See the programme and attendance list of the campaign launch and press breakfast briefing further down on this page!
3 proposals for a more Social Europe with greater participation
EAPN’s manifesto develops 3 proposals for a more social Europe, with greater participation:
- A Social Pact for a Social Europe
- An effective EU Strategy to fight Poverty, Social Exclusion and Discrimination
- Strengthened democracy and civil society participation
Follow the campaign!
- All the information related to the campaign and updates on the campaign’s blog http://electingchampionsin2014.net/
- Follow us on Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/EuropeanAntiPovertyNetwork
- and Twitter @EAPNEurope #EP2014 #electingchampions
Confirmed attendance to the press briefing with MEPs and candidates to the European Elections
- Jean Lamberts, Group of the Greens/European Free Alliance, UK
- CERCAS Alejandro, Group of the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats, Spain
- Jutta Steinruck, Group of the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats, Germany
- GÖNCZ Kinga, Group of the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats, Hungary
- Bart Staes, Group of the Greens/European Free Alliance, Belgium
- Saskia Bricmont, Candidate to the European Elections, Group of the Greens/European Free Alliance, Belgium
- Heather Bailey, parliamentary assistant to Sylvie Goulard, ALDE, France
- Marije Cornelissen, Group of the Greens/European Free Alliance, NetherlandsJan Kreutz, Adviser of the Party of European Socialists (TBC)
- SCHOLZE Philine, Advisor on Employment and Social Affairs, Group of the Greens/European Free Alliance
- Sergio Aires, President of EAPN, Portugal
- Letizia Cesarini Forza, Vice-President of EAPN, Italy
- Peter Kelly, Vice-President of EAPN, UK
- Kart Mere, Vice-President of EAPN, Estonia
- Stephan Backes, Coordinator of the Belgian Anti-Poverty Network (BAPN)
- Elke Vandermeerschen, BAPN
Maciej Kucharczyk, Managing Director; Ophélie Durant; Daniel Holmberg
ENAR – European Network against Racism
Juliana Santos Wahlgren; Camilla Colavolpe
Marie-Cécile Renoux, Secretary General
Jana Hainsworth, Director
Luigi Leonori, Director
Tuesday 04 March 2014
AT THE EUROPEAN SOCIAL PLATFORM, 18 SQUARE DE MEEÛS, 1050 BRUSSELS
9.30 | WELCOME NOTE BY SÉRGIO AIRES, PRESIDENT OF EAPN
Sérgio Aires will present briefly EAPN’s Campaign Electing Champions for a Social Europe, manifesto, key messages, supported by its members, EAPN National Networks and European Organisations. 2 key milestones after this campaign’s launch are the 8th May common date for action and a Hearing in the European Parliament closer to the European Elections.
9.45 – 10.45 | CANDIDATES TO THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT ELECTIONS AND PRESIDENTS OF EUROPEAN POLITICAL PARTIES REACT TO EAPN CAMPAIGN’S MANIFESTO
Each candidate or president present, or representative, will be given a few minutes to react to EAPN’s manifesto, key messages and to its call for commitment.
10.45 – 11.30 | OPEN SPACE FOR PRESS
Journalists will be able to address the candidates and European Party Presidents present as well as EAPN and other European-Organisation representatives.
A press release will be issued on the day. It will be made visible on EAPN’s campaign blog http://electingchampionsin2014.net/, EAPN website and social media, as well as the campaigns tools of EAPN National Networks and EAPN member European Organisations.