The Europe 2020 Strategy offered hope of smart, sustainable and inclusive growth, setting for the first time a poverty target to reduce poverty by at least 20 million by 2020. At the mid-term of this objective, poverty has not decreased, but increased by 6.6 million to 124,2 – 1 in 4 of the population. With the launch of the public consultation to feed into the Commission’s Mid-Term Review of Europe 2020 Strategy in 2015, stakeholders had a key opportunity to highlight their concerns.
Participants: Around 30 EAPN members who participated from the national level, including people with direct experience of poverty, and 70 Brussels-based stakeholders.
from the Social Protection Committee, European Commission, European Parliament, ETUC, and other civil society actors and people with direct experience of poverty.
- Opening Session: Commissioner László Andor, DG Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion (video)
- Session 1: Why is Europe 2020 still failing on poverty?
- Voices from the ground: inputs from People with Direct Experience of Poverty (video by Nellie Epinat/EAPN)
- Bart Vanhercke, Director of the Observatoire Sociale Européen, Can the EU become a Social Union?
- Graciela Malgesini, Chair of the EAPN EU Inclusion Strategies Group, EAPN Assessment of Europe 2020/European Semester – 2014 NRPs/CSRs
- Session 2: What needs to change? What recommendations for the Mid-Term Review
- Paul Ginnell, Chair of the EAPN EU Inclusion Strategies Group, EAPN Proposals for the Mid-Term Review
Key related documents
- EAPN’s Input to the Mid-Term Review of the Europe 2020 Strategy Can the Strategy be made fit for purpose enough to deliver its promises on poverty reduction? (October 2014)
- EAPN’s Assessment of the National Reform Programmes 2014 From Austerity to Inclusive Growth – what progress? (October 2014)
- EAPN’s proposals for CSR recommendations 2014 (March 2014)
- EAPN’s Handbook for policy-makers to build stakeholder dialogue Giving a Voice to Citizens (September 2014)
See also this video explaining EAPN’s analysis of the Mid-Term Review in simple terms.
You can access the full report here.
Take a look at some pictures of the event on our Picasaweb album
Contact the Policy Coordinator Ms Sian Jones for information on this event and the issue: firstname.lastname@example.org
Photo: © Rebecca Lee, EAPN
These events are supported by the European Community Programme for Employment and Social Solidarity-Progress (2007-2013). The information contained in this document does not necessarily reflect the position or opinion of the European Commission.