13 October @ 9:00 am – 11:30 am (CEST)
On 13 October, EAPN launched our Poverty Watch 2022 Key Findings “In Unequal Times of Crises” in the European Parliament. The event was facilitated by Shada Islam and co-hosted by MEP Marisa Matias (GUE/NGL), and MEP Mounir Satouri, (Greens/EFA).
The Poverty Watch is a bottom-up analysis of around 20 National Poverty Watches produced by our members that provides accurate evidence-based data on the state of play of poverty in Europe. This year’s edition incorporates the multiple relentless crises of the ongoing war in Ukraine, cost of living and energy crises and the long-term impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. This turmoil, which is far from being solved, exacerbates the pre-existing social injustices affecting vulnerable groups the most.
During our event, which formed part of our activities for the 17 October International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, we presented our preliminary findings and EU-level recommendations. It was an important opportunity to bring to the forefront the need for an integrated and ambitious EU anti-poverty strategy to over this particular time of relentless crises.
The event aimed to:
- Provide an update on current real challenges of poverty
- Highlight EAPN’s key concerns and recommendations
- Allow EU policymakers and Civil Society Organisations to react to our findings, and
- Generate a high-level political debate with representatives from the European Commission, European Parliament and Civil Society Organisations on long-term plans to overcome crises and create a cohesive social Europe, free of poverty and inequality.
The full agenda is available
For more information:
- Read the full EU report of the 2022 Poverty Watches here
- Access the latest 2022 editions of the national Poverty Watches here
- See our other 17 October International Day activities here
For further information on content, contact Kahina Rabahi (Policy & Advocacy Coordinator) email@example.com, or on EAPN’s events, contact Rebecca Lee (Information & Events Officer), firstname.lastname@example.org