13 October @ 9:00 am – 11:30 am (CEST)
On 13 October, EAPN holds the launch of our Poverty Watch “In Unequal Times of Crises” in the European Parliament, facilitated by Shada Islam, and co-hosted by MEP Marisa Matias (GUE/NGL), and MEP Mounir Satouri, (Greens/EFA).
The Poverty Watch is a bottom-up analysis of around 20 National Poverty Watches produced by our members that provides accurate evidence-based data on the state of play of poverty in Europe. This year’s edition incorporates the multiple relentless crises of the ongoing war in Ukraine, cost of living and energy crises and the long-term impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. This turmoil, which is far from being solved, exacerbates the pre-existing social injustices affecting vulnerable groups the most.
During our event, which forms part of our activities for the 17 October International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, we will present our preliminary findings and EU-level recommendations. It will be our opportunity to bring to the forefront the need for an integrated and ambitious EU anti-poverty strategy to over this particular time of relentless crises.
Our event aims to:
- Update on current real challenges of poverty
- Highlight EAPN’s key concerns and recommendations
- Allow EU policymakers and Civil Society Organisations to react to our findings, and
- Generate a high-level political debate with representatives from the European Commission, European Parliament and Civil Society Organisations on long-term plans to overcome crises and create a cohesive social Europe, free of poverty and inequality.
At this conference, we will present the EAPN proposals for the recommendation and ensure that the voices of people experiencing poverty are given a central role in the European debate on minimum income. Besides people experiencing poverty, the programme will also include speakers from the EU institutions, EU Member States, civil society and scientists.
The full agenda is available
You can sign up for the event here.
- 9:00 – 11:30 (Brussels time)
- European Parliament, room ASP 1G2
- Interpretation in English, Spanish and French
#PovertyWatch ~ #EndPoverty
For further information on content, contact Kahina Rabahi (Policy & Advocacy Coordinator) firstname.lastname@example.org, or on registration, contact Rebecca Lee (Information & Events Officer), email@example.com