The Employment Subgroup of the EU ISG will monitor developments related to the Employment Guidelines (especially 7-9) of Europe 2020, the employment target, and employment policies in general, of the European Union and the Member States, as reflected in National Reform Programmes, National Social Reports, and others. The subgroup will work with a view to establish the full implementation of inclusive labour markets, as mandated by the Active Inclusion Strategy, and will strive to set up partnerships and alliances with relevant actors, will produce policy papers on related subjects, and will mainstream employment work into EAPN’s general work for the fight against poverty, social exclusion and inequalities. In the context of its work on employment, EAPN focuses, mainly, on access to employment, especially on behalf of vulnerable groups, facing complex obstacles. A related topic is rendering labour markets more inclusive, increasing the capacity of Public Employment Services, and fighting discrimination on all grounds, in accessing jobs as well as at the workplace. This seems to be at odds with current drastic policies, prioritising compulsive, negative activation, through rigid conditionality and harsh sanctions. Employment has been very present also in the European discourse over the past two decades, especially related to economic aspects. The social dimension of employment, providing not just a route out of poverty, but also out of social exclusion, allowing people to forge relationships, improve their skills, contribute and participate, has often been neglected. EAPN has continuously strived to reinforce this dimension. EAPN also lobbies for public investment in quality job creation, especially in sectors with high potential, such as the green sector, the white sector (health and care) and the social economy, especially through supporting Work Integration Social Enterprises (WISEs).
The main aim of this group is to discuss policy and practice developments related to employment at both national and the EU level (including through Europe 2020 and its processes), and to shape and lobby for a vision of inclusive employment, where people are supported into quality, sustainable jobs. There will be a particular focus on the key role of social economy, as well as the very serious issue of youth unemployment, in the current context.
- Europe 2020: ensure that inclusive employment, as a real guarantee against poverty for those who can work, is at the heart of the Strategy.
- Exchange information regarding policy development at national and EU level.
- Build alliances with trade unions and other strategic partners.
- Communicate and Campaign on inclusive employment topics.
- Monitor progress on the employment target (qualitative, not just quantitative);
- Support the implementation of the Employment Guidelines 7-9;
- Follow closely developments linked to the European Agenda for Skills and Jobs and ensuing documents (such as the Employment Package);
- Take responsibility for chapters relating to employment in the NRPs and NSRs.
- Share updates on what is happening to employment policies on the ground;
- Follow new initiatives at European level that impact on employment.
- Build alliances and coalitions, at national and EU level, with partners such as trade unions and others, to foster more awareness and take up of our concerns;
Communication and Campaigns
- Produce lobbying tools, ranging from policy papers and reports to campaigning (actions, website, movies, posters, other).
Please read a brief description of the Subgroup here.
The facilitator of the Employment Subgroup is Marina Koukou, from EAPN CY.
The support person in the EAPN Secretariat is Amana Ferro.
17 May 2014, Prague
- Agenda for meeting, 17 May 2014, Prague
- Minutes of meeting, 17 May 2014, Prague
- Employment fiche to the Mid-Term Review Paper
8 February 2014, Palma de Mallorca
- Agenda for meeting, 8 Feb 2014, Brussels
- Minutes of meeting, 8 Feb 2014, Brussels
- Quality Work Explainer – final text of the summary
26 October 2013, Palma de Mallorca
- Agenda for meeting, 26 October 2013, Palma de Mallorca
- Minutes of meeting, 26 October 2013, Palma de Mallorca
- Glossary of employment terms
11 May 2013, Brussels
2 Feb 2013, Brussels
17 Nov 2012, Berlin